This page is about a Mom who likes to think she is closer to the Hot side than the alternative. Here is my story of the daily journey of a less than rich, less than skinny and more than happy lady :D

Monday, February 8, 2016

Monday Mommy Hack: Second Day Hair (DIY Dry Shampoo)

Happy Monday friends!!!

I find as a mom I have less time and less energy to spend- or even care sometimes- about how I look. Messy bun and tights are my go to when life gets in the way of my plans.

One thing I am not great at is doing my hair. I don't ever allow enough time or I struggle with getting the style to turn out the way that girl on Pinterest did- in just 3 easy steps... This drives me to aim for great "Second Day Hair". That's 3-4 less washes a week, using less of my favorite hair products and spending less time jazzing up these locks.

Enter my hero- dry shampoo! I first learned about dry shampoo when my sister was in the hospital for a extended period of time. Baths are not always possible or the first priority at these "extended day spas", so using dry shampoo was necessary for both patient and care taker. We were sot thankful for it then, and I'm still thankful now!

No more washing your hair every day or feeling like you have to ruin a great style because your roots are getting oily. Don't get gross on my now ladies. You will have to wash your hair again, But maybe not as often...

There are many brands and options out there, but another thing you should know about me is that I try to avoid chemicals at all costs. I used an OTC spray for years, but every time I sprayed it on my eyes would water and my sinuses would go nuts. Here is where my searching started.



I have found a few more natural recipes of dry shampoo that I have tried over the years. Some made me look like a grannie with grey roots (which I hear is all the rage these days), other's didn't do anything but add to my oily root issue.

I'm about to try this recipe out using natural products and essentials oils.


Here's the blog I found it on:
DIY Dry Shampoo



For light hair:
¼ cup arrowroot powder
2 drops Lavender essential oil
2 drops Rosemary essential oil
2 drops Peppermint essential oil

For dark hair:
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 drops Lavender essential oil
2 drops Rosemary essential oil
2 drops Peppermint essential oil


Directions: 
1. Put arrowroot powder, cocoa powder (is using), and essential oils into food processor. 
2. Pulse until well combined.
3. Store in glass jar.
4. To use, apply powder with an old make-up brush to roots and or oily parts of hair.

I'd love to hear your ideas for great "Second Day Hair"!


No comments:

Post a Comment