This page is about a Mom who likes to think she is closer to the Hot side than the alternative. Here is my story of the daily journey of a less than rich, less than skinny and more than happy lady :D

Friday, August 2, 2013

A Mother's Love is a Battlefield

After a day full of dirty diapers, McDonald's meltdowns and 10 minute naps it is often hard to sit down and convince yourself that this is the start of something amazing. You look at the little tear stained cheeks, check your agenda at the door and start thanking the Lord for His Grace. Any Mother can relate... and if you can't I'm gonna need you to write a book ASAP- the rest of us need your secrets! 

A Mother's love is a battlefield... Constantly dodging the mines-perfect Pinterest-worthy birthday parties, families all in matching, clean outfits, and how did that lady potty train her twins at 15 months!? The enemy's firing at you left and right- breastfeeding is the only way, vaccinate, don't vaccinate, no TV until their 2. Not to mention you have your own baggage- am I ever going to wear non-yoga pants again, did I brush my teeth today, have I turned into my mother... And somewhere in there you are trying to do the best you can with what you have and praying every day that if nothing else your children will remember how much you loved them so they will put you in a decent "retirement" home.


Being a Mom is by far the most challenging experience I have had yet. And not only are you a Mom, you are a spouse, a friend/sister/daughter, the housekeeper, the doctor on call, the personal decorator, personal shopper, chef, mechanic and the entertainment. Don't forget to add the things you would like to do- photographer, cake maker, supermodel (we all have dreams right?), painter, author. And somewhere in that resume you're supposed to fit getting a pedicure, haircut and going to the gym as well as volunteering for story time and hosting play dates, cheering on your husband's flag football team and teaching your in-laws how to use their new iPhone (even though you don't even own an iPhone).



On top of that to-do list that seems 4 pages long you also have the emotions of being a Mom. What's the line between letting them explore and watching them fail? Why every time they are disciplined do you feel like you might have just broken their spirit? Can you protect them from the effects of middle school? Will they pick good friends? Do you think they'll remember to wear sunscreen? go to the dentist? Am I a nag? 

After the McDonald's/no nap/poopy day, and a few tears, I believe I have come up with the salve my aching Mommy's heart needs... having all these feelings means I am working to be the best Mommy I can be. If I didn't have concerns, if I didn't invest all of myself, and if I didn't cherish the moments that make up life with my boys (good or not so good) I would just be a caretaker. A Mother's Love is consuming, exhausting, fulfilling, heavy and the best blessing the world has to offer. 

As much as I love my sons, I can't imagine what God felt like giving up his only Son for a bunch of sinners... and that is what keeps the days and nights flowing- even if I can't keep a plan, I know He has one for me.  




Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes. 
- Matthew 6:34 (The Message)

1 comment: