This page is about a Mom who likes to think she is closer to the Hot side than the alternative. Here is my story of the daily journey of a less than rich, less than skinny and more than happy lady :D

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Iced Coffee for the Coffee Wimp

I love Frappuccinos from Starbucks- LOVE them... But my one income family does not like the price :D

I combed the internet for the best DIY Iced Coffee recipe I could find. After some tweaking here is my version. I like my coffee like I like my men- blonde and sweet.

YOU WILL NEED:
1/2 gallon of water (64 oz.)
1/2 pound of coffee (8 oz.)
1 12 oz. can of evaporated milk
1 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
Honey, Chocolate syrup...
Ice
Coffee filters or cheesecloth (I used filters)
Mesh strainer (you can use your spaghetti filter, your flour sifter, or buy one for $2 at Target)
2 large bowls
Squirt water bottle
Ladle
Pitcher

(Once you are sure you like it you can double the recipe to 1 gallon of water and 1 lb. of coffee- this should last you close to 1 month if you are an avid coffee drinker)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Pour your water into the large bowl.

2. Dump the coffee into the water in the bowl.

3. Stir to make sure all the grounds are saturated with water.

4. Leave the bowl, covered, in the fridge for at least 12 hours. (I left mine overnight)

5. While you are waiting 12-ish hours for coffee, make your sweetener mixture:
Put the 12 oz. can of evaporated milk and the 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk in the water bottle with a squirt top. Shake it up. Refrigerate.

6. 12 hours later....
Get the filters, strainer, ladle and the other large bowl. Line the strainer with the filters and place it above the large bowl. (I took a cookie cooling rack, placed the bowl under the rack in the sink, then placed the strainer on top of the rack so I would not have to balance the strainer on the bowl.)

7. Ladle the coffee mixture into the strainer. This takes a while and can be messy. (Pouring was way too messy. I had to change out the filters twice and I filtered mine twice just to be safe- so I used 12 filters total.)

8. Once you are finished filtering pour the coffee mixture into the pitcher and grab your glass!

9. Fill the glass up with ice. Fill the glass just over halfway full with your coffee mixture. Then add your sweetener to taste. You can drink as is or put it in the blender. (I chose the blender.)

10. Add what you like- I added two large drops of honey. Some add chocolate syrup or flavored coffee creamer.

ENJOY!!! Please post your add-ons. I would love to try them!

No comments:

Post a Comment